Forest City Township
This township is located on the western edge of the Big Woods and was organized in April 1858. Platted a year earlier, the settlement of Forest City was not only the first county seat, it also housed the land office, was the site of the first church service, and the first saw and flour mills in Meeker County.
The U.S/Dakota War in 1862 resulted in the construction of the Forest City Stockade, which was rebuilt in 1976. Forest City served as the county seat until 1869, when the establishment of a railroad line through Litchfield saw one town thrive and the other sharply decline in population.