In the mid-1800s, Harvey Township was majority prairie with a small area of thick lumber, a nearly perfect spot for a homestead. This area was originally part of Forest City Township, but split off on it's own after being formally organized in 1867. This township was named for James Harvey, a homesteader who fought in the Us/Dakota War of 1862 and later served as the Meeker County Clerk of Court.
The first school was held in 1858 with Mary Flynn as the teacher. With no towns yet in this township, the building was used for education and as a gathering place for community or club meetings. The final rural district school in Harvey Township was District #75, which closed in 1965.